#GreatBritishQuilter, Handmade, Patchwork, Quilting, Sewing

Adventures in English Paper Piecing

22nd February 2018

My first attempt at English Paper Piecing was in the very early days after I learnt to quilt (c2012) and I started big, an 80-inch square quilt to be precise. It took around four years, on and off, to complete and was made of 64 hexagon flowers, each mounted onto 10-inch white squares. Since completing that quilt I have undertaken a number of other EPP projects from hoop quilts, to bags and further large quilts. But, each project has always featured my beloved hexagons.

Back last autumn my sister-in-law gave me Sharon Burgess’ Quilting on the go… English Paper Piecing book (AFFILIATE LINK) as a birthday gift and I decided that 2018 would be the year of branching out into other shapes. The book contains some fab projects and I was really torn where to start but I opted for a mini quilt pattern that contains 8-point stars, squares and rectangles.

This past weekend I made the top of the quilt and am really pleased with the result. It was time consuming to make but it felt really good to work with a selection of different shapes to build an interesting pattern. I will soon finish the quilt but am still thinking about how I will do this, so need to decided where/how I will use it. I’m thinking wall hanging but am also wondering about making it into a cushion cover. Watch this space!

As well as raving over Sharon’s book I also wanted to let you know that for the first time I tried glue basting. I have always used thread to baste my EPP projects but back in January I participated in an EPP Instagram challenge under the hashtag #greatbritishquilter and was intrigued to see how many people use glue to baste. I thought you might like to know how I got on.

Glue basting was a little messy and fiddly but was super speedy and I guess that is why it is so popular. I basted 52 pieces for the quilt in around an hour and a half. I think it probably would have taken three or four times as long to sew basting stitches. It felt a little strange putting bright blue glue onto beautiful fabrics but it was easy to apply. When it came to removing the papers I found it to be more tricky than removing stitching but not impossible. In conclusion, I think I would definitely use glue to baste again but I will decide on a case-by-case basis. If speed is an objective of the project I will 100% use glue but if I invest in a long-term slow project I will probably stick with stitch basting as I find the process quite therapeutic.

The glue I used was a Sewline Glue Pen (AFFILIATE LINK), which costs around £6 for the pen and two glue inserts. I used a whole insert to glue the 52 pieces of this mini quilt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *